Friday, May 25, 2007

Decoration Day

Memorial Day has become merely "the three-day weekend which marks the start of summer." But I remember veterans visiting cemeteries, and the vast veteran's cemetery near the intersection of Wilshire Blvd. and Sepulveda Blvd. in Los Angeles.

Today, I learned of a group that helps support the survivors of soldiers killed during their service careers. No Greater Love

You can send them an email of support (or ask them how to donate funds) to remembrance@ngl.org.

Most Saturday nights, after I leave my group of quilting friends, I drive home past the Lafayette BART Station, and see a hillside full of crosses, crescents, stars, and other memorials to U.S. soldiers fallen in Iraq. The video I took is too large, so I will find a place to post it, and then come back and revise this message.

And I don't know the significance of the three tiny crosses in the center front.

-- Rachel

No comments: